A student shall not knowingly possess, handle, or transmit any object that can reasonably be considered a weapon at school, on school property, or at a school-sponsored event. This shall include any weapon, any item being used as a weapon or destructive device, or any facsimile of a weapon.
Weapons and Destructive Devices
As used in this policy, the term “weapon and/or destructive device" shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- any weapon which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
- the frame or receiver of any weapon described in the preceding example;
- any firearm muffler or firearm silencer;
- Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas bomb, grenade, rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 ounce, mine, or similar device;
any weapon which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant and which has any barrel with a bore of more than 1/2 inch in diameter;
- any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device described in the two immediately preceding examples and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled;
- any bludgeon, sand club, metal knuckles, or throwing star;
- any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife or any knife having a blade that opens, falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
- any electronic device designed to discharge immobilizing levels of electricity, commonly known as a stun gun.
Penalties for Weapon Violations
Possession of a weapon and/or destructive device listed under the “Weapons and Destructive Devices” heading of this policy shall result in expulsion from school for a period of one calendar year, except the superintendent may recommend this expulsion be modified on a case-by-case basis.
Possession of, handling of, and/or transmitting a weapon of a type other than described under the “Weapons and Destructive Devices” heading above, an item being used as a weapon or destructive device, or a facsimile of a weapon may result in disciplinary action up to and including suspension and/or expulsion. Expulsion hearings for weapons violations shall be conducted by the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee.
Students violating this policy shall be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency(ies) and, if a juvenile, to the Secretary for DCF or the Secretary of KDOC as appropriate. Possession of an air gun at school, on school property, or at a school supervised activity will not be prohibited for students participating in an air gun-related activity sponsored by an organization held at school or when in transit to or from such activities held off district property.
Approved: August 10, 2015
Revised: August 2016