Basehor-Linwood School District

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
J - Students » Enrollment (JBC)

Enrollment (JBC)

Non-resident Students
Non-resident students are those who do not meet the definition of a resident student. Although the district is not required to admit non-resident students, non-resident students may be admitted to the extent that staff, facilities, equipment, and supplies are available. Other criteria regarding students seeking non-resident student admittance may be considered prior to acting on any non-resident application. Such criteria may include student grades, attendance and disciplinary records, students residing outside of the state of Kansas may be denied enrollment or continued enrollment based on out-of-state residency, and other factors as determined by the board.

Non-resident Students-Continued Enrollment
Non-resident students admitted to the district shall be evaluated each spring by district administration on the following criteria: whether the student made academic progress; residence in the state of Kansas, regularity and punctuality of attendance; and disciplinary record, specifically whether the student complied with the student conduct code and avoided 1) major disciplinary problems and/or 2) a large number of referrals for minor disciplinary problems.

Students may be readmitted or denied admission for the next school year based on the results of these evaluations. However, if the student has a disability, the student’s ability to meet these expectations shall be considered prior to denying continued enrollment in the district. Parents shall be informed of any administrative decision on non-resident student applications no later than April 1st.

Admission of Non-Resident Children of District Employees
Students who are not residents of the District, but whose parent or legal guardian is an employee of the District, may be admitted only to the extent that staff, facilities, equipment and supplies are already and reasonably available. The superintendent shall determine whether such a non-resident student shall be admitted to the district. However, any such request for non-resident admission must be submitted prior to the beginning of a school year, and any such non-resident student shall not be admitted to the district after September 20. Admission as a non-resident student for one school year shall not guarantee admission as a non-resident student for any subsequent school year; rather, a separate application must be made for each school year for which admission as a non-resident student is sought. The superintendent shall determine the particular school building in which a non-resident student is placed.

Non-Resident Students Who Intend to Reside in District
A student who is not a resident of the district, but whose parents or legal guardians intend to move within the boundaries of the district, may be conditionally admitted to the district. The student must become a resident student within 120 days after his/her enrollment in the district. Parents or guardians who desire conditional admission pursuant to this policy must execute an Affidavit of Intended Residency, in the form attached to and incorporated in this policy.

Grandfather Clause
A student who has completed his/her sophomore or junior year at Basehor-Linwood High School may continue to attend school in the district through that student's graduation, provided the student's attendance in the district is not interrupted by enrollment at another school, regardless of the student's residency, and without the payment of tuition. The district shall not provide transportation for the student to or from school. If the non-resident student engages in any conduct for which the appropriate discipline might involve a short-term suspension, a long-term suspension, or expulsion (including truancy), the district's consent to the non-resident student's attendance may be revoked immediately at the discretion of the superintendent, provided however, that the student shall be afforded informal due process (like that preceding a short-term suspension) to determine if the student engaged in the conduct at issue. This shall not preclude the district from initiating due process procedures for a long-term suspension or expulsion, should circumstances warrant.

Enrollment Restriction
Unless approved in advance by the board, no student, regardless of residency, who has been suspended or expelled from another school district will be admitted to the district until the period of such suspension or expulsion has expired.

Enrollment Procedures
The superintendent shall establish orderly procedures for enrolling all students, including pre-enrollment, changes in enrollment, normal enrollment times, and communication to parents and to the public.

Part-Time Students
Part-time students may enroll with the administration’s permission if they complete all paperwork in a timely fashion and are in attendance no later than September 20th. Part-time students may be admitted only to the extent that staff, facilities, equipment, and supplies are available and the students follow the district’s student conduct policies and rules.

Identification of Students
All students enrolling in the district for the first time shall provide required proof of identity. Students enrolling in kindergarten or first grade shall provide a certified copy of their birth certificate, a certified copy of the court order placing the child in the custody of the Secretary of the Department for Children and Families, or other documentation which the board determines to be satisfactory. Students enrolling in grades 2-12 shall provide a certified transcript, similar pupil records or data, or other documentary evidence the board deems satisfactory.

If proper proof of identity is not provided within 30 days of enrolling, the superintendent shall notify local law enforcement officials as required by law and shall not notify any person claiming custody of the child.

Enrollment Information
The enrollment documentation shall include a student’s permanent record card with a student’s legal name as it appears on the birth certificate or as changed by a court order and the name, address, and telephone number of the lawful custodian. The records shall also provide proper proof of identity.

Assignment to a School Building, Grade Level, or Classes
The superintendent shall assign students to the appropriate building. Any student desiring to attend a school outside the attendance area in which the student resides may do so only with the prior written permission of the superintendent. Assignment to a particular grade level or particular classes shall be determined by the building principal based on the educational abilities of the student. If the parents disagree, the principal’s decision may be appealed to the superintendent. If the parents are still dissatisfied with the assignment, they may appeal in writing to the board.

Transferring Credit
In middle and high school, full faith and credit shall be given to units earned in other accredited schools at the time the student enrolls in the district, unless the principal determines there is valid reason for not doing so. For online credit approval procedures after enrollment, see board policy IIBGB.

Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools
Students transferring from non-accredited schools will be placed by the principal. Initial placement will be made by the principal after consultation with parents or guardians and guidance personnel. Final placement shall be made by the principal based on the student’s documented past educational experiences and performance on tests administered to determine grade level placement.
This form is for use by those parents/guardians who do not yet live in USD 458, but will move within a reasonable time, but no later than 120 days following the date of this agreement. A signed copy of a home building contract, home purchase contract, or lease for housing is required.

Name _______________________________
Present Phone _________________________
Present Address __________________________________________________

Employer ____________________Spouse'sEmployer_____________________
Address _________________________Address____________________________
Phone __________________________Phone____________________________

Children Desiring to Attend School:

Name ________________________________ Grade_____________________
Name ________________________________ Grade_____________________
Name ________________________________ Grade_____________________

Intended Address ______________________________________________________
Anticipated Date of Moving _____________________________________________

Signature of Parent/Guardian_____________________________________________

Parent agrees that if he/she has not established residence in U.S.D. No. 458 within the time period herein established, the School District may refuse to permit the children listed above to continue attending school in USD No. 458.


STATE OF _____________________

COUNTY OF ___________________

BE IT REMEMBERED, that on this _______ day of ______________, 20_____ before me, the undersigned notary public in and for the county and state aforesaid, came ____________________________, who is personally known to me to be the same person duly acknowledged the execution of the same.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed seal the day and year last above written.

Notary Public

My Commission Expires: ____________________

School Official
(extension to JBC)
A student shall be required to attend the school designated for the attendance area in which the student resides, unless the Superintendent or his/her designee approves a transfer based on the exceptional circumstances outlined in this policy. In all such cases, the Superintendent or his/her designee will have the final authority in making the decision.

Reasons for Transfers Based Upon Exceptional Circumstance:

A. Administrative Placement: In special circumstances, the Superintendent or his/her designee may place a student in a school other than the school he or she would attend under Board of Education policies. Such placement may be made after consultation with the student’s parents or guardians, sending and receiving principals, and other school personnel. (Transfers for special education purposes will be processed by the school’s special services team and the Leavenworth County Special Education Cooperative.)

B. Family Move: Students whose parents move during the regular school year into the attendance of another school within the district may remain enrolled until the end of the regular school year in the school in which the student was enrolled immediately prior to the move.

C. Student/Parent Initiated Transfer: A request for transfer from one school to another may be made by a parent under exceptional circumstances and for justifiable reasons. Such a request shall be considered by the Superintendent or his/her designee on the basis of the educational needs and interests of the student, as well as the educational needs and interests of the students in the sending and receiving schools. Educational needs and interests of the students and schools shall include, but not be limited to these: (1) functional enrollment numbers for the current year, as well as other impacted years; (2) class sizes; (3) adequate program flexibility and efficiency; and (4) staffing. It should be noted that although we will try to consider requests for all siblings in a family, it may not be possible to accomodate them.

No bus transportation will be provided to students attending outside of their designated attendance area. As a condition for approval of any request for voluntary transfer, the requesting party shall sign a transportation waiver form provided by the district, as part of the transfer form, on which it is acknowledged that the requesting party waives any and all entitlement to district-provided transportation that a student may otherwise have by reason of board policy or state statute.

Transfer forms may be picked up at any elementary office or the district office.

A transfer is good for one year only and must be reapplied for each year between May 1 and June 15. Parents will be notified in writing by the Superintendent or his/her designee, no later than one week before the opening of school.

The school district reserves the right to cancel, revoke or rescind transfers for just cause at any time. This includes, but is not limited the following reasons: a.) students who continuously disrupt or violate school rules; b.) overcrowded classrooms following enrollment; c.) if it is found that the student and/or parent/guardian have falsified their place of residence or reasons for transfer; d.) if students are continuously tardy or not attending regularly.

(Please Print)

Student’s Name: ________________________  Grade Level in School Year Requested: ______
Student’s Address: _______________________________________
Home Phone: _____________________
Current School: ____________________
Request Transfer to: ___________________________

This transfer request is to be initiated between May 1 and June 15 each year. Filling out a request does not mean approval. The Superintendent or his/her designee will notify you in writing of his/her decision no later than one week prior to the start of school.


Parent’s Signature for Transportation Waiver: _____________________
Parent’s Name (Please Print): ________________________________
Home Address: ________________________________City ________________ State _____
Home Phone: _____________Work Phone: _________________

Please check the reason(s) for requesting a transfer for your child and provide written comments for reason(s) identified. The following are reasons for transfers based upon exceptional circumstances.

A. ____ Administrative Placement
B. ____ Family Move
C. ____ Student/Parent Initiated Transfer

Please explain the circumstances which you feel merit consideration for a transfer. (Attach additional pages if necessary.) My signature below indicates that I have seen and understood the parts of board policy JBC that pertain to in-district transfers.

Parent’s Signature: ______________________ Date: _________

Administrative Action: Approval Date: ________ Denial Date: ______

Signature: _________________

Approved: August 10, 2015
Revised: May 10, 2021